Wednesday 31 July 2013

Interview with Ramona Limon


Monika: Today’s interview will be with Ramona Limon, a young American video blogger that documents her transition on YouTube. Hello Ramona!
Ramona: Hello Monika.
Monika: Could you say a few words about yourself?
Ramona: Well, I’m a college student in Denver, Colorado and I am currently working for my degree in 2D animation.
Monika: Why did you decide to share your transition details on YouTube?
Ramona: When I first started following my heart and mind to be the woman I knew I was, I watched some ladies on YouTube who, as well, were undergoing their miraculous changes. I consider all of them as my own idols that I connect with on a very personal level.

7 years old little did she know.

Monika: At which stage of the transition are you right now?
Ramona: I am officially one year on hormones.
Monika: Are you satisfied with the results of the hormone therapy?
Ramona: More than satisfied, ecstatic.
Monika: Could you describe your childhood? When did you feel for the first time that you should not be a boy or man?
Ramona: At a young age, I had an understanding in my mind that my feelings toward masculine things were nowhere near the interest I had in the feminine lifestyle. I constantly questioned myself whether or not it was possible to be in the wrong body, since I was raised Christian.
At the age of 11, I mustered up the courage and told my mother, who was displeased, but still loved me and told me to think about it.
Monika: For most transgender girls, the most traumatic time is the time spent at school, college, or university when they had to face lots of discrimination. Was it the same in your case?
Ramona: Surprisingly, I’d say I’m the lucky few that didn’t get too much ridicule. Although I was living in a small town, I had kept my transition apparel at home or out of town. Never in public around town, until I was ready to move out for college. At college, I have yet to be questioned, whether or not I am female. Although I do tend to get some attention, nothing major.

First time going out in public.

Monika: Are there any transgender role models that you follow?
Ramona: AGirlLikeMe916, casey4441, Fiorwestcoast, girloftomorrow, and the one that started it all was minorqback.
Monika: What was the hardest thing about your coming out?
Ramona: Telling my mother, it was hard for her, but she had a feeling I’d bring it up again, since I first told her, but she accepted that it was what I was going to do, with or without her permission.
The first couple of years after telling her was a nightmare. I was ridiculed by family and lost some “best” friends in the process, but now my family is supporting and apologetic for the way they treated me and new friends were made at college.
Monika: What is your general view on the present situation of transgender women in American society?
Ramona: For the present situation, I am grateful to be born in this day and age where it’s starting to be a little more acceptable; however, I feel for the older generations that had a much harder time than I did.
Monika: We are witnessing more and more transgender ladies coming out. Unlike in the previous years, some of them have the status of celebrities or are really well-known, just to mention Lana Wachowski in film-directing, Jenna Talackova in modeling, Kate Bornstein in academic life, Laura Jane Grace in music or Candis Cayne in acting. Do you think we will have more and more such women?
Ramona: I hope so. Having more and more accepted figures transitioning will definitely help future boys to become the women they always knew they were.
Monika: Do you think that in our lifetime we could live until the day when a transgender lady could become the President of the USA?
Ramona: Well, I’d say as long as her views weren’t too extreme, anything’s possible. Politics can be very tricky.
Monika: Do you like fashion? What kind of outfits do you usually wear? Any special fashion designs, colors, or trends?
Ramona: Actually, I don’t follow any big company clothes stores. I just pick and choose, when there’s extra money I can spend of course.
Monika: What do you think about transgender beauty pageants?
Ramona: To be honest, I’m not really into the beauty pageant scenes. As long as we, as Transgenders, aren’t being glorified as Cross-dressers, I see no problem with them.
Monika: Are you involved in the life of your local LGBT community?
Ramona: I was. I had a hard time being around the others, only due to the attitudes they gave when it came to certain subjects that weren’t very personal to start with.

Full year on hormones, with friends.

Monika: Do you intend to get married and have a family? Could you tell me about the importance of love in your life?
Ramona: I do plan to get married. As for children of my own, I can only hope that I may still be able to have a biological child. Even so, I plan to adopt. My love life is exactly where I want it. I’m happily in a relationship with a beautiful girl, and I hope it stays that way. 
Monika: What would you recommend to transgender women that are afraid of early transition, discrimination and hatred?
Ramona: It’s a hard struggle to overcome, but in my opinion, I believe it makes us stronger than cisgender women/men. We have to overcome so much more and through it, we all can grow to be incredibly strong individuals.
Never give up a dream. Family is important, one thing I recommend, no matter how bad family treats you, never give up on them. They are the biggest part of your life, and to drop that is to give yourself more pain through the process. I’ve seen many girls consider their family as “poison” and it’s wrong of them to give up. My family called me a freak, but I forgave them and now we are connected closer than ever before.
Monika: What is your next step in the present time and where do you see yourself within the next 5-7 years?
Ramona: My steps planned out, are saving for my surgery and hair removal. I see this all finished within 5 years on a beach in Hawaii with a smoking hot surfer body. A girl can dream, right?
Monika: Could you say that you are a happy woman now?
Ramona: The happiest I’ve ever been, and it only gets better from here on out.
Monika: Ramona, it was a pleasure to interview you. Thanks a lot!

All the photos: courtesy of Ramona Limon
© 2013 - Monika Kowalska
  

Search This Blog